Pre-Employment Health Screening
"The medical assessment of an employee's health prior to employment with a view to gauging their fitness to work."
- a cost effective way of identifying health problems that might affect the prospective employee's ability to give an effective and reliable service
- can significantly reduce Sickness Absence levels
- ensures the employer meets legal obligations contained within Acts such as the Disability Discrimination Act, the Data Protection Act, Working Time Regulations and others specific to your business
- provides companies with a baseline health status of each employee at commencement of employment and between internal transfers; often useful as supporting evidence during and after employment
- avoids duplication of effort and follows industry best practice by incorporating mandatory Health Surveillance in cases where there are special Regulatory health requirements in the workplace
Many employers use some form of medical assessment for potential employees, prior to starting work.
Quercus Occupational Health are able to provide Pre-Employment Health Screening tailored to suit your company needs. An example of a successful, cost effective and widely adopted screening process is as follows:
- the employee completes a Pre-Employment Health Questionnaire
- the questionnaire is scrutinised by a qualified Occupational Health professional who will determine fitness for work
- where necessary the Occupational Health professional conducts a follow-up telephone call with the employee
- if at this stage the information provided is insufficient to decide on medical suitability for employment further information will be sought
- the company is advised of the employee's medical suitability for employment together with any recommendations, limitations and adjustments required
In the majority of cases the screening will be completed on the basis of the questionnaire alone. Only a very small percentage of applicants need to go beyond the questionnaire/telephone stage.
Contact Quercus Occupational Health Services for more information.